Friday 26th January 2018
You will be aware that Ermine Primary was visited by Ofsted Inspectors on 28th and 29th November last year. Their task was to make a judgement on overall effectiveness of the school. We have now received their report, a copy of which is attached for you to read.
You will note that the report has a number of areas that the inspectors thought needed strengthening. We have already addressed a lot of these issues and made improvements to our practice and routines, some of which you might already be aware of. In the report, you may note that there are recommendations about our safeguarding practice. We would like to take this opportunity to clarify that at no point were any children unsafe or in danger.
What we have already done:
- Made changes to the start and end of the school day including parental consent on collection procedures.
- We have staff on duty at the school gates at the start of the day to strengthen safeguarding.
- Systems for reporting, recording and monitoring safeguarding concerns changed.
- New Headteacher and Chief Executive Officer of the trust appointed December 2017.
- Parents’ surgery for parents to speak to members of the senior leadership team weekly.
- Additional staff training on safeguarding and de-escalation techniques to manage behaviour effectively.
- New policies for safeguarding introduced-see website for further information.
- Children have an ‘ask it basket’ in classrooms to air concerns or give suggestions which are shared at weekly school council meetings.
- Change of daily lesson timetable to allow for more humanities and arts.
- Nurture follow up for identified children.
- Key workers assigned in Nursery and Reception.
- Further medical needs training for staff and signage around school
Things we are working on
- New behaviour and reward policy.
- External reviews of governance, safeguarding and health and safety.
- Monitoring of teaching and learning to ensure high expectations for all.
- Meetings for the Parent Forum Group.
We are very proud that the Inspectors recognised some real strength in the school:
- Achievement in our Early Years provision, ‘good level of development…is in line with the national average.’
- Y1 phonics, ‘Proportion of pupils reaching expected standard…has improved and is now above national average.’
- KS2 progress and attainment. ‘Improvements to the quality of teaching of reading and mathematics in key stage 2 have raised attainment and outcomes.’
We were delighted to hear that the recent schools guide also ranked Ermine Primary in the top 5 schools in the county for achievement for all in KS2.
Hannah Spencer, the chair of the Academy Trust said: “Governors and Trustees have full confidence in the leadership team at Ermine Primary, who are working hard to ensure outstanding education for all the children at the school. We are working together as a team to respond to the Inspector’s comments from the report and have made huge progress on this in a very short period of time”.
We would like to invite all parents/carers of pupils to an Ofsted follow up event, at which we will outline the many changes we have made and the impact they have already had on children and the life of the school. There will also be opportunities for you to ask any questions or raise any concerns you may have. This event will take place at the school on Tuesday 30th January at 5.30pm where there will be a formal presentation by Mrs Richards and then a Parent Surgery.
Ofsted Parent Follow-Up Event – January 2018
Download your copy of the Ofsted Follow-Up Event for Parents from 30th January 2018 by clicking the image below:
Don’t forget that the Senior Leadership Team will be happy to answer any of your questions at any of our Parent Surgeries; Monday mornings 8:45-10.00 am.
Thank you for your continued support. We are excited about the journey ahead and working closely together with you to move the school forward.
Mrs J Richards
For a PDF of the report, please click here.
For the follow-up visit report November 18, please click here.